How do I get a copy of a Police report?

Copies of reports are available for pickup at the Police Department payment window. You must first call us at (304) 453-5555 so the copy will be available when you come by. Incident reports are generally available for release within three to five working days, and crash reports are generally available within five to seven working days. Factors such as ongoing investigations, officer’s days off, and system issues sometimes increase the time it takes to release a report.

Report copies cost $20 per report. This must be paid by cash or money order at the time of pickup. Credit Cards are not accepted for reports at this time.

How can I get in contact with a specific Detective or Officer?

Officers do have extensions, but are not published online. If you wish to leave a message for an officer, you may either come to our lobby and leave a note there or call 304-453-5555 and a communications member will connect you to the officer’s voicemail box.

How do I leave a Drug or Crime Tip?

Crime tips can be left through the following means; anonymous tips can be left by calling (304) XXX-XXXX or submitting them online at Both the phone line and the online tips are checked several times daily. Information collected from these sources is passed on to the appropriate division or unit, internally. 

How do I thank or commend an Officer?

If you would like to thank or commend a police officer for a job well done, you can either contact our Chief’s Office at 304-453-5555, send us a message on Facebook or use the contact us feature on this site. Your comments will be passed on to the officer, but this way a record of your gratitude or compliments can be placed in the officer’s personnel file. 

How can I check for registered sex offenders?

 The sex offender registry is maintained by the West Virginia State Police. Inquiries can be made either by calling 304-528-5555, or online at 

Who do I contact about an outstanding traffic ticket? How do I pay my traffic ticket?

If you have received a traffic, arrest, or parking citation, and have questions regarding the fine or court date, you can contact the Kenova Municipal Court at 304-453-2206 between 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, Monday – Friday. The Police Department is not able to provide you with any information regarding fines or court dates.

If you would like to pay your fine now, CLICK HERE. You may also call nCourt, our payment processing partner to pay by phone at 1-877-794-1209.

My child is out of control. Can an officer come and "scare" him/her or make them listen?

The short answer is NO! Our officers are only able to respond when there is a threat involved. If they are threatening to harm you or themselves then, YES an officer can be dispatched.

When an officer try’s to use scare tactics on a juvenile, one or both of the following happen.

The child doesn’t really learn anything and while it may work that time, as the parent they will not respond to your demands in the future as the officer is the one doing the discipline.
The child grows up scared of police officers. This is the absolute last thing we want to happen to a child. We want children growing up to understand we are here for them when they need us.
There are many resources available to parents who need help with kids who act out or refuse to listen. You can CLICK HERE to read some very helpful tips from that will really make a difference.

Remember that google and other parents are sometimes your best resource. If all else fails, it may be time to speak with a professional. You’re family doctor may have some ideas, but most importantly, they can refer you to someone who specializes in this area.

Can I employ an off-duty police officer?

If you would like to inquire about hiring an officer to work an off-duty detail, call 304-453-1281 Ext 1006. Chief Sullivan will be able to assist you.

What is the Kenova Police Department's address?

Our physical address is:

1051 Pine Street
Kenova, WV 25530

Our mailing address is:

P.O. Box 268
Kenova, WV 25530

How can I find out if someone has been arrested?

We follow a very strict privacy policy. We will only provide information as to wheather or not someone has been arrested or in our jail facility, if they have given us written permission.

Depending on the charges, we may take an arrestee to the Western Regional Jail. You can call them at 304-733-6821. You may also do an inmate search by clicking HERE.

My vehicle was towed. What now?

If your vehicle was impounded due to a traffic stop or other reason by the Kenova Police Department, you must have an impound release authorization from our department before your vehicle will be released by the towing agency. When you arrive to get your release, you are required to present a VALID driver’s license, registration and insurance certificate. Please note, we will only release a vehicle to the legal registered owner.

If you do not have any of the above, you must take the proper steps in order to get this information. If your information was left in your vehicle and you need to retrieve it, please call our communications center and a representative will direct you to the proper tow company location. Our number is (304) 453-1281.